Early Connections Alliance developed a Bush Fire Social Story to share with your children.
Social Stories are a social learning tool that supports the safe and meaningful exchange of information between parents, professionals, and people with autism of all ages. You can adapt the social story to your family by downloading the word document.
If you have any questions about Early Connections services during Bushfires or natural disasters that affect the recgion please contact your local office.
Children may wish to share a message of support for firefighters at High5AHero A place to celebrate and give a ‘high 5’ to all the amazing heroes fighting fires, rescuing homes, offering up beds, donating goods, and feeding and supporting those hard at work to protect our towns. Post your note/photo/video of thanks to celebrate these amazing heroes and show our gratitude for all the incredible work they are doing #high5ahero.
Visit ABC Mid North Coast News for ongoing updates
Additional useful links for children and families
- Natural disaster picture book stories from Queensland Health
- Recovering Together Factsheet Bushfires Queensland Health
- Maggie Dent – The Silver Lining to every natural disaster
- Mercy Corps – Helping Children through a crisis 10 tips
- Autism Tasmania – Autism and bushfires
- Australian Psychological Society (APS) – A great resource – Preparing children for the threat of bushfires and multiple factsheets
- Emerging Minds – Community Trauma Toolkit
- Every Australian Counts – Info for people with disability affected by bushfires
- Red Cross – Preparing for emergencies
- IDEAS – bushfire crisis information
- Hey Sigmund – anxiety in children after world trauma